Caterpillar Articulated Trucks (Articulated Hauler) & More
An articulated truck (also known as an "articulated hauler") is an off-road dump truck that’s designed to withstand rugged and rough surface conditions under all types of weather. Articulated trucks have a two-piece chassis that’s connected by an articulated joint, giving them far more maneuverability than their single-piece chassis counterparts (called "rigid trucks"), but that’s far from the only difference.
Choosing an Articulated Hauler
From Komatsu to Caterpillar, articulated trucks make up a huge part of the construction industry, but these all-terrain vehicles are only appropriate under certain project conditions:
- Articulated trucks are excellent for handling rocky terrain as well as wet, soft ground
- Although rigid trucks can transport much more material per haul, an articulated off-road dump truck is far better at maneuvering steep hills and other sharp inclines
- Articulated trucks are not safe to operate on public roadways
- Articulated trucks are excellent for tight quarters with low clearance (places where rigid trucks would never be able to fit)
Other Factors to Consider When Buying an Articulated Off-Road Truck
- Articulated trucks are ideal for land reclamation, highway construction, and fly ash removal at coal-burning facilities, just to name three uses
- An articulated hauler with a hydraulic system allows you to dump with exact precision, meaning less bulldozers are needed to clean up the leftover mess
- From generic brands to Caterpillar, articulated trucks typically can only haul between 25-50 tons
- If you intend to use an articulated hauler for multiple sites, be prepared to pay for transportation costs (since they cannot be operated on public roadways)
Do You Have More Questions About Articulated Trucks?
If you see an articulated truck listed that you would like to learn more about, then please contact the seller directly and let them know!