Single and Multi-Compartment Fuel Trailers
Almost every fuel trailer is designed to transport various fuel types to gas stations and truck stops, and many of the fuel trailers for sale on our site have multiple storage compartments for delivering different grades of fuel in a single trip. These compartments also help reduce the "slosh effect" that can make braking and turning difficult for drivers as the liquid moves around.
Different Types of Fuel Trailers for Sale: The Basics
Be sure that you're looking at the right fuel tank trailers for the job.
- Straight Bottom Fuel Trailers – This is the most common design, and it is used to unload low viscosity products like gasoline and other solvents in nearly any type of environment.
- Double Taper Fuel Trailers – These trailers excel at unloading especially slick products (such as lubricants) on level ground.
- Trough Bottom Fuel Trailers – Most compartments have baffles that act as dams to prevent surges when unloading, but these trailers can bypass the baffles to unload gasoline, ethanol, diesel and other solvents faster than other designs.
Trailer Axle Capacities
When you see a fuel trailer for sale that you like, pay attention to the number of axles.
Semi-Fuel Trailers (tandem axles):
- Can transport tanks designed to hold anywhere from 5,000 to 11,600 gallons of fuel.
Tri-Axle Fuel Trailers:
- Designed to transport tanks that can hold up to 9,500 gallons of fuel.
Quad-Axle Fuel Trailers:
- Designed to transport tanks with a maximum capacity of 11,600 gallons of fuel.
The number of fuel compartments per trailer varies along with compartment size. A single compartment trailer could contain 11,600 gallons or you could get 3-4 fuel compartments holding anywhere from 500 to 2,500 gallons of fuel each. You can also further reduce weight and increase your payload by opting for a frameless tank design.
Emergency Equipment Checklist
If you are going to buy a used fuel tank trailer for sale, be sure to check for the following equipment and replace it as needed:
- Fire Extinguisher
- Ground Cables
- Bond Cables
- Vapor Recovery Devices
- Emergency Shut-off Units
Got a gasoline / fuel tank trailer to sell? In minutes, you can create a classified ad and market it to thousands of users.
Start selling today