Komatsu Debuts HD325-8 and HD405-8 Off-highway Trucks
The next generation of off-highway trucks feature increased horsepower, reduced fuel consumption, improved access, and all new operator environment.
Komatsu America is rolling out the red carpet on their new HD325-8 and HD405-8 off-highway trucks, which replace the HD325-7 and HD405-7 models. The new models are on the lighter-end of the rigid frame truck family and feature an EPA Tier 4 Final certified engine, increased horsepower, and a new Komatsu Traction Control System (KTCS) to achieve improved productivity. The HD325-8 and HD405-8 have payload capacities of 40.3 US tons / 36.5 metric tons and 44.1 US tons / 40 metric tons, respectively.
The new trucks are equipped with Komatsu SAA6D140E-7 engines, which have increased to a net 514 horsepower (383 kW). Fuel consumption has also been decreased for the HD325-8 by as much as nine percent, and by as much as six percent for the HD405-8, compared to the HD325-7 and HD405-7 models. Access to the trucks has also been improved with sloped stairs and handrails in front, to replace the previous ladder configuration.
Komatsu Traction Control System (KTCS), which automatically applies independent brake assemblies to achieve optimum traction in varying ground conditions, is now standard in the new HD325-8 and HD405-8 machines. Because the system operates without the need for differential lock-up, steering performance is not compromised.
Other new standard features for both truck models include a quiet 78 dB(A) cab, seven-inch LCD color monitor, dedicated rearview monitor, fast-fill fuel system, and a premium heated and ventilated operator’s seat with air suspension.
The tire size for the HD405-8 truck has also been increased from 18.00 R33 to 21.00 R33, for extended wear properties.
Standard features of the new HD325-8 AND HD405-8 include:
Tier 4 Final Certified Engine Technology
- The powerful SAA6D140E-7 engine provides a gross power rating of 518 HP (386 KW).
- The hydraulically actuated Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) ensure precise operation and quick engine response.
- Maintenance of Tier 4 Final engines is simplified with enhanced monitor panel capability and service features.
- KOMTRAX and the monitor panel provide critical information for easy monitoring and key data for production management.
- Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) are designed in conjunction with the engine for efficiency and long life.
- More than 98 percent of KDPF regeneration is performed passively, with no action required of the operator and no interference with machine operation.
- Power and Economy modes allow the operator to optimize the performance required for operation.
New In-Cab Enhancements/Features
- Air-suspension, high-back, ventilated and heated seat softens machine vibrations for added operator comfort and cast frame members increase strength.
- Seven-inch, full color, high resolution monitor delivers a sharp picture and vivid colors, even in harsh light.
- Komatsu Auto Idle Shutdown can reduce idle time and save fuel.
- Separate, full color, rearview monitor with improved line-of-sight.
- Pioneering KOMTRAX telematics system and monitor provide key machine metrics, including KDPF status and fuel consumption. Performance information can be collected and sorted by operator ID.
- Auxiliary jack and two 12 volt ports.
- New angled front access stairs with handrails are now standard for both sides of the machine.
- Tight turning radius with MacPherson strut front suspension.
- Hydropneumatic suspension system for a smooth ride.
- New Komatsu Traction Control System (KTCS) automatically provides optimum traction in all ground conditions without operator input.
- Komatsu Advanced Transmission with Optimum Modulation Control System (K-ATOMiCS) adjusts shifting performance according to demand for a more comfortable ride and reduced material spillage.
- Automatic Retard Speed Control (ARSC) automatically maintains a selected downhill travel speed (rather than engine RPM) that is appropriate for the grade.
- Enhanced Komatsu integrated payload meter (PLM) data is available on the machine monitor and remotely via the web.
- New ground level accessible battery box for easy maintenance.
The HD325-8 and HD405-8 are covered by the Komatsu CARE program
for the first three years or 2000 hours, whichever comes first. Komatsu CARE for these models includes complimentary scheduled engine maintenance and two complimentary Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter exchanges in the first five years.
By Curtis Sund
on June 13, 2017
More in Construction Equipment News