The Marketplace for Buying and Selling Industrial Generators
A generator set, aka a "gen set", can provide power to any job site that is not connected to grid or otherwise needs an emergency supply. In addition, a gen set can save money by producing power during peak hours when energy costs the most (a practice known as “peak shaving”). We are pleased to offer a huge listing of gas, natural gas, and diesel generator sets for all of your power supply needs.
Choosing the Right Gen Set
A gen set can be split into three main types:
- Diesel Generator Sets – A diesel genset has better fuel efficiency than a gas gen set, but usually cost more. Earlier models are much noisier than modern versions.
- Gasoline Generator Sets – Although less expensive than diesel, their components are actually more expensive to replace. More popular than diesel when it comes to intermittent use.
- Natural Gas – The most expensive gen set to operate is also potentially explosive, so caution must be taken at all times. However, since many buildings have a natural gas line, you usually won’t need to store fuel.
Whether you choose a natural gas, gasoline, or diesel genset, you will need to decide on the best cooling system. Again, there are three types:
- Air-cooled – The loudest and cheapest cooling system with low maintenance costs (typically received for smaller generator sets).
Typically used for power levels ranging from 8 to 20 kilowatts.
- Water-cooled – Larger generator sets require liquid cooling, which is quieter than air, but also more complex and oftentimes messier.
Typically used for power levels ranging from 25 to 60 kilowatts.
- Hydrogen – The most powerful gen set is also the most dangerous; hydrogen is highly combustible and most be closely monitored.
Typically used for power levels above 60 kilowatts.