Caterpillar has replaced their D6N dozer model with the brand new D5, which offers enhanced performance and the most extensive choice of user friendly tech features that make this bulldozer quite the bang for your buck. This dozer is very responsive and features a 170 hp and an operating weight range of 37,875 to 42,263 lbs. All of this, plus the addition of an automatic transmission for smooth acceleration give this dozer the power and finesse it needs for both dozing and grading, as well as the speed to get the job done quickly and effortlessly.
The update from D6N to D5 is part of an effort to make all Cat dozer model names simpler. Over the next couple of years, the Cat dozer range will be renamed from smallest to largest – D1 to D11 – with one model per size class and no more letter modifiers like “N,” “K,” “T.”
Next Generation Value
The D5 elevates the performance of the predecessor D6N with more weight and horsepower, improved steering capability and a long list of technology offerings to help operators get more work done in less time.
A fully automatic 3-speed transmission with lock-up clutch offers faster cycle times, as well as optimal power and fuel efficiency. The automatic transmission, steering improvements and enhanced power train controls offer new levels of steering performance and control.
The completely redesigned cab raises the standard in comfort and productivity. Operators will find more space, multiple seat and control adjustments for optimal comfort and a new, easy-to-use 10-in (254-mm) touchscreen operator interface. A standard High Definition rearview camera shows prominently in the main display. Overall visibility is enhanced with about 15% more cab glass area, plus a steeper hood angle that provides 30% better forward visibility to the blade and work site.
Unprecedented Technology Choices
Technology offerings on the D5 are led by updated, factory integrated Cat GRADE with 3D. Advanced Inertial Measuring Units (IMU) provide greater speed and accuracy without position sensing cylinders. Smaller antennas are integrated into the cab roof for even better protection and GPS receivers are mounted inside so they can be secured by locking the cab doors. A more intuitive GRADE operator interface works like a smart phone, making it easy for operators to pick up quickly. Android OS platform allows installation of custom apps for more versatility. AutoCarry™ is included with GRADE with 3D to automate blade lift to maintain desired blade load, improving load consistency and reducing track slip.
Additional GRADE technologies include:
- Cat GRADE with Slope Assist™ provides basic blade positioning assistance without added hardware or a GPS signal. Updated main display makes the system more intuitive and easier to use.
- Cat Slope Indicate is standard, showing the machine cross-slope and fore/aft orientation on the primary monitor for quick and easy reference.
- Factory Attachment Ready Option (ARO) provides optimal mounting locations, brackets, and hardware and simplifies installation of an aftermarket grade control system. The new D5 makes it easier to install any brand of grade control system, with specific mounting locations for grade control components.
In addition to GRADE features, simple on-board technologies help with top performance and quality grades. Blade Load Monitor gives real-time feedback on current vs. optimal blade load to help optimize pushing capacity. Traction Control detects track slip and temporarily reduces track power to allow the operator to adjust blade load and limit track slip. Second generation Stable Blade works seamlessly with operator blade inputs for smoother surfaces when grading manually.
Cat LINK telematics technology helps take the complexity out of managing job sites – by gathering data generated by equipment, materials, and people – and serving it up in customizable formats.
- Product Link™ collects data automatically and accurately from equipment assets – any type and any brand – which can be viewed online through web and mobile applications.
- Access information anytime, anywhere with VisionLink®. Cat dealers can help conﬁgure a customized subscription, available with cellular or satellite reporting or both.
- Remote Services is a suite of technologies consisting of Remote Troubleshoot and Remote Flash that helps improve your jobsite efficiency.
- Application Profile and Operator ID help you save time by saving preferred machine settings. Operator ID with Security provides an optional additional level of security by requiring an operator to enter an ID before the machine will start.
Enhanced Power Train Control
The D5 helps make steering and slope work easier with advanced controls that automatically manage the power train and brakes. There are no extra operator inputs to think about – the built-in features just work in the background.
- Hill Descent Control maintains preselected machine speed, without using the service brakes, for added control when working downhill.
- Hill Hold automatically engages the brakes to hold position when in neutral on a slope.
- Decel Brake Pedal controls machine speed all the way to a complete stop, or for smooth inching control.
- Steering Radius Control uses steering and decel pedal input to automatically downshift for a tighter turning radius and more maneuverability.
The D5 is available in Standard or Low Ground Pressure (LGP) configurations, with either a push arm or Variable Power Angle Tilt (VPAT) blade. A folding VPAT blade is available to help meet regional transport width requirements. Waste, Forestry/Land Clearing and Fire Dozer configurations offer specialized factory-installed guarding and other features to help take on the toughest applications.
D5 PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Fully Automatic 3-Speed
U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final, EU Stage V,
Japan 2014 (Tier 4 Final), Korea Tier 4 Final
Net Power Rated (1,770 rpm)
ISO 9249/SAE J1349
ISO 9249/SAE J1349 (DIN)
Operating Weight (with drawbar)
17 180 kg
VPAT Fine Grading
17 780 kg
19 170 kg
17 340 kg
With three-shank ripper add
1 393 kg
LGP VPAT Foldable